WhatsApp is a great way to keep in touch with friends and family. However, every once in a while you might want to to block someone whom you would avoid interacting with. Whatever the reason may be, there’s an easy way to block them on WhatsApp Messenger.
It is also important to remember that blocking a contact on WhatsApp doesn’t remove them from your contacts list, nor will it remove you from the list on the contact’s phone.
Here’s a step by step guide on how to block a contact on WhatsApp.
WhatsApp for Android
Here’s how you can block a contact on WhatsApp for Android
Head to WhatsApp, click on the ‘three dots’ on the top right of the screen.
Tap on Settings > Account > Privacy > Blocked contacts.
Hit the ‘Add’ button and search for the contact you want to block.
Separately, you could also go to the chat of the contact that you want to block, click on the ‘three dots’ icon on the top right.
Select More and hit Block to block the contact.
If you haven’t added the number of the sender in your contact list, a ‘Block’ button shows up right in the chat. You could select the option and block the contact immediately.
If you identify the contact as spam, you also you have the option to tap Report and Block instead, which will report and block the number.
WhatsApp for iPhone
Here’s how you can block a contact on WhatsApp for iPhone
- Head to WhatsApp > Settings > Account > Privacy.
- Select Blocked > click on the Add New option.
- Search for the contact you wish to block, tap on the contact.
- Alternatively, you can open the chat box with the contact, tap on the contact name > select Block Contact > Block or Report and Block
- You can also swipe left the chat with the contact in your Chats tab, then tap More > Contact Info > Block Contact > Block or Report and Block.
- If you want to block an unknown phone number, open the chat and tap Block > Block.
- If you receive chat from an unknown phone number, then tap the phone number > Block Contact > Block or Report and Block.