To utter surprise, IITs- Premier engineering institute of India will no longer conduct JEE ( Joint Entrance Exam ) for securing admission into IITs in India. HRD Minister Kapil Sibal had a talk with all the Directors of IITs and he has asked to consider scrapping the four-decade old joint entrance examination and replacing it with a general aptitude test just like CAT or other management entrance tests.
Pros of Scrapping IIT JEE :
- As of for me, there are pros and cons for scrapping IIT JEE. The biggest one is pressure, students are having to study both JEE and their HSC which leads to debacle.
- An aptitude test measures the worth of a student in a much better way than a test concentrating on 3 subjects. ( Physics, Chemistry and Maths )
- Students won’t have to leave home to prepare of JEE for 3-4 years (crucial for their growth) JEE will be more of a fun than a serious examination directly impacting the stress levels of students preparing for it.
Cons of Scrapping IIT JEE :
- Won’t get serious applicants and almost all science students will be applying for IIT JEE blindly as it is for CAT for MBA. Quality will be hit.
- There should one more round of screening (like personal interview )in order to select good quality students unlike current system where students, once cleared JEE get admission into IITs on merit basis.
- Students will have to prepare for both HSC as well Common Aptitude tests as both will be having different curriculum unlike JEE where the syllabus was almost similar.
What are your views? Pass on in comments section. Do you justify scrapping IIT JEE ?